After we installed office 365 on our pc’s we discovered high disk IO, especially on our terminal servers. Running tools from sysinternals this turned out to be something in Office installation called Telemetry, When we started office apps some file, in the profile folder structure, called OTELE was constantly updated. Not one file, but several.
After som time of investigation we found one registry key that seem interesting “DisableTelemetry”. The obvious thing to do was to set this value to 1 (binary enabled). But that did not help at all. When we started Oulook the value was set to “0”. Searching the internet gave us the answer from Microsoft (second hand 🙂 ) That this could not be disabled. But after a support case : It would have taken us forever to find the value. The answer is 170000 ,
Set the value to 170000 and all disk IO to OTelemetry stopped. Now our servers are back to normal, only a subset of files are created.Thanks to Jan Ove Aarnes for his findings.
This is a rather confusing event. It occurs on the Exchange server 2010 that is holding the Unified Messaging role. “The following UM IP gateways did not respond as expected to a SIP OPTIONS request”, and at the end “This operation has timed out”. The server mentioned in the erro is, in this senario, the Lync server.
I thought I knew this PKI stuff and I was sure that all my certificates where correct. Also when telneting for the exchange server to the Lync server on port 5061 there was most defiantly an answer – No timeout”. After a while a decided to do all my certificates all over. Replacing the Lync , of course made no difference. When replacing the exchange certificate I change the SN to be the FQDN of the server, This did the trick. The error message disappeared. So now I remember that on Exchange UM server keep FQDN as Subject name and place all other names as SAN’s